Mind the Gap

Thursday, July 27, 2006

how-do?

I think that one of the things I have to get used to is all the small talk that people over here like to do. Diba in Manila, when you go to the mall and buy something, it's just all very mechanical. You give item to saleslady, saleslady rings it up, you get your package and go. No interaction or anything. Over here it's all "Hi! How are you doing today?" or, "Isn't it just too hot outside? It's supposed to rain though, what do you think?"

Me naman, si Miss Shy kuno, am at a total loss for words. I mean, come on, I always make Jef talk to the waiter, or be the one to ask the salesperson a question, not because I'm a snob, I'm just nahihiya to talk to them. Go figure. I've been like that since I was little. I've always had a hard time talking to people I don't know. I am so not a master of small talk.

Here I don't have the chance to be shy because it's the salespeople who walk up to me and go: "Hi! May I help you?" "Are you looking for anything in particular?" "Is there anything I can help you with?"

The first time that happened, I was in Best Buy (which, by the way, is totally and possibly the techie store of my dreams), and this guy comes up to me and started blabbing away. I was like *mumble mumble* "No, it's okay, I'm just looking around." And my face was really blushing. Kasi naman in Manila, it's all "Sorry, ma'm, hindi ko po alam, bago lang ako dito bla bla" Mga bwisit.

Ang galing lang kasi they're really friendly. And cheerful! It's a really nice thing to experience, even if you're just in the grocery or whatever.

Another thing I have to get used to: neighbors. It's so totally quiet in my neighborhood, that you can hear what the family across the street is doing. I'm not complaining because it's totally better than my old neighbor who used to sing "Wowowee" at the top of her lungs. Sintonado pa.

When I step outside and there are neighbors walking about, they call out to you and say hi. Or at least wave to you. Aliw lang 'cause I don't even know these people, but they're really friendly.

So I guess I just have to keep on practicing small talk. Or at least answering louder because I still sound like a mouse when I reply. Hehe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home